seriously.
Lets just spare the excuses and get going.
I'd like to discuss something that i've been noticing recently, a new trend if you will, with todays hypster. A trend that brings flashbacks to a not so glamourous childhood past. Retro -take over my entire face- glasses. I'm not talking sunglasses, i'm talking seeing glasses. Or.. how i like to refer them as, the glasses of my past. The pictures of my childhood that i would like to burn most, are those featuring glasses of rainbow hues taking over the entire top half of my head. I wont even describe more, i'll just show you.

....just darling right? I joke and tell my mom that it was a form of child abuse, having me wear glasses with frames the size that they were. Her response, "they were THE style." Not just IN style, but THE style.
Please tell me that this is not going to be THE style again.. i just couldn't bear it. I mean, i totally understand old styles being recycled into new ones, I'm all for it. I love retro wear, i love vintage, i love fashion. I'm just saying that certain items should be left in the past.
Lets just spare the embarrassment of the future people!
I think its safe to say that all those flirting with the oversized perscription eye wear, are those who are currently not tourtured by childhood photographs.
I'll level with you. When shopping for my most recent pair of eyewear, i tried on an oversized pair. JUST to feel it out. Just to see what all this new hooplah was about. I felt kinda like Clark Kent.. in hiding.
I've grown up like any other girl in the world, with a stigma about personal beauty. When i was growing up i found that i was defined as "the girl in the glasses" often called names because of them. I began to resent them, not because they were oversized (because like my mom said they were THE style) but because i felt as though i hid behind them.
At the end of high school, I started taking them off, "going in blind" i would say. I felt like super(wo)man in the beginning. People started noticing me more, or so I thought-- regardless, i felt confident. I finally felt like that little nerdy shell was being peeled away.
I started to realize over time though, that i liked my glasses. I liked having them on. Coincedentally, I finally did get contacts, to be a little less "blind" and i do wear them when i'm at the beach, wearing sunglasses without perscription, sometimes when i'm going out. I have to say though, after all that self discovery i really do love my glasses. Not because they define me and not because they are not the huge- retro-cover the face of a child- ones, but because i just like them. My life wouldn't have been, or continue to be the same without them. They are an old friend. I love old friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment